As the clocks turn to a new year, we resolve to look at resolutions and why most people fail to follow through on them!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Approximately 80% of new year’s resolutions fail (i.e., they are abandoned).
Top resolutions from the 2015-2016 new year (full list found here)
- Lose Weight
- Getting Organized
- Spend Less, Save More
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Staying Fit and Healthy
Why do most of us fail to follow-through on our resolutions?
These are all great goals, but why do so many of us fail to realize them? Here are just a few likely reasons:
- We focus on our fears (what do we NOT want to do) rather than our strengths (what are we good at and therefore likely to succeed at doing in the new year)
- We make all kinds of excuses (including the excuse of not doing something until we resolve to do it in the new year!!)
- We take on too much (including a very typical resolution to take on less in the coming year)
- We don’t know what achieving the resolution actually looks like
- We don’t plan, or set realistic goals, or set realistic (or any) deadlines
Wizdoms for making a resolution that you might actually accomplish
- Write down the goal – hang it up on the wall, keep on your desk, in your bag, in your car
- Make the goal clear (be specific – put numbers to things)
- Set a timeline, and put it in your calendar
Listen to the show for many more Wizdoms!
Did you make any New Year’s resolutions this year? Do you think you’ll follow through on them? Share your thoughts by commenting below, leaving us a voicemail at 646-653-9278 (who knows, maybe we’ll play it on the air!) or send us a message here.
You can also learn how we help job seekers, employers, and employees by visiting My Success Platform and PEAR Core Solutions.