“In the quilt we call life, goodness is the thread that holds it together.” -Margo Chabot
Margo Chabot joined us for this special episode where we discussed her Project Goodness, a community dedicated to noticing and adding to the goodness in and around us. You won’t be able to resist smiling when you listen to this episode!
Margo’s definition of “goodness” is, “In the quilt we call life, goodness is the thread that holds it together. Sometimes it’s almost invisible while other times it’s wholly apparent. The work is to follow that thread, to be aware when it’s there and to trust it’s there even when it’s hard to see.”
Project Goodness supports the theory of Positive Psychology, which has five core elements (originally described by Martin Seligman in his book Flourish). These tell us how we can live a fulfilling & happy life.
- Positive Emotion: This is more than just smiling. It’s being optimistic when thinking about your past, present, and future. It’s about having a positive outlook on life. Being happy makes you feel happy & healthy! When you look out for the goodness around you, you already feel positive emotions.
- Engagement: Allow yourself to find the things in life that you enjoy and allow yourself to be totally present. You can feel engaged by doing more of the things that you love!
- Relationships: Recognize the goodness in the people around you. Building positive and meaningful relationships in life are the key to happiness! Show your friends and family goodness and let them know how much they mean to you. Think when I’m with _______, I’m with goodness.
- Meaning: The WHY! When you add to the goodness in and around you, you have the potential to make a difference in the world. Find your unique ability and use it!
- Accomplishments: Having and achieving goals gives us confidence. Confidence gives us a sense of accomplishment. Make your goals grounded in the goodness you recognize around you.
Margo & her brilliant manifesto can be found at www.withgoodness.com and you can join the movement on Instagram by following @withgoodness
Did you make your Goodness Pledge? Share yours by commenting below, leaving us a voicemail at 646-653-9278 (who knows, maybe we’ll play it on the air!), or send us a message here.