Dr. Glenn Doyle joins GutwiZdom to chat about how to set, keep, and achieve your New Year’s Resolutions!
Have you ever made a New Year’s Resolution that you just couldn’t keep? You’re not alone! Between 42% and 92% of New Year’s Resolutions end in failure. So, what can we do to make sure we see success?
Dr. Glenn Doyle joined us this week to provide his “wiZdom” on goal setting for the new year. Dr. Doyle is a licensed psychologist, the Founder and Director of the Doyle Practice in Chicago and Washington DC, and the author of the self-development blog, www.useyourdamnskills.com. You can find Dr. Doyle on Facebook and at his new site, www.realisticlifechange.com!
Check out a few of Dr. Doyle’s “wiZdoms” below and listen to the episode for more!
DR DOYLE’S RESOLUTION WIZDOMS
- Why should we set resolutions? Resolutions are just a structured form of goal setting. Setting goals are important for us as human beings for building our self-esteem.
- What kind of resolutions should we stay away from? Stay away from goals that require you to “be something different” instead of changing a behavior.
- Is the new year the best time to set a goal? Effective goals need a timeline, but there is nothing special about the new year, except that it is a goal post that everyone recognizes.
- How do we keep our resolutions on track? The first step in goal setting is time management. Know when to start, give yourself a timeline, and be realistic about your stepping stones. Make sure you schedule check-ins with yourself to see how you did. When was it hard? What worked and what didn’t? How can we do better?
- What if we feel like our resolutions are failing? Having a good relationship with yourself is important if you want to achieve your goals. Shame never works in the long term.
LISTENERS: What is your New Year's Resolution? Share your experiences and wizdoms with us! Either leave us a voicemail at 1-646-653-9278 or send us an email. We may talk about it - or we may even talk with YOU - on the air!